Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Abigail Loves Coconut Flour Muffins!

Abigail's First Grain-Free Banana Coconut Flour Muffin

Now that Abigail is eating "real food" it's been a chore to come up with things for her to eat that do not contain grains or sugar and that are not highly processed! She has a big appetite too!! I'm trying so hard to keep her off grains until she turns a year old and I don't want her having much white sugar period. (If you have questions about why we are not feeding her these, read here and here for some info. I certainly don't think someone's a bad mom if they do feed their baby grains! Please don't think that! I just prefer to keep Abigail from them at this time.) Also, the fact that I have many food allergies and she is already showing allergies to dairy, nuts, and apples helps me keep her diet even more strictly!

For breakfast this week Abigail has been eating 1/2 a banana, a handful of blueberries, and an egg yolk with sea salt on it. I've been trying to decide what else I can give her for variety and I don't want her only eating fruit (we do things like avacados, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc... for lunch and dinner). Then it dawned on me last night that coconut flour is not a grain. Many people, including myself, who go on grain-free diets use coconut flour to make breads and muffins instead. Coconut flour recipes tend to be super nutritious due to the coconut, which is super healthy for us, plus they use a lot of eggs, which if you're using pastured eggs... from chickens who actually roam and eat in the grass... they are also super healthy for us!

All this to say, I decided to make Abigail and I some banana coconut flour muffins for breakfast. They were very yummy and she ate a whole one and kept asking for more! (Even after eating a whole banana while I was cooking the muffins! haha...) I used this recipe and then tweaked it for what I had and wanted to use.


Banana Coconut Flour Muffins

3 Eggs
2 Tbps. Coconut Oil
2 Tbps. Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Coconut Sugar (a scant 1/4 cup)
1 Whole very ripe banana
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 cup Coconut Flour
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder

Mix together wet ingredients. Add in dry ingredients and mix. Pour into 6 greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 for 15-16 minutes. They will be moist and a little spongy.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try these! I am amazed that you got them to rise so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lemon poppyseed muffin recipe with coconut flour and honey if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete